Episode 14 - Building Trust in Government with Responsible AI
A framework for AI that leads to successful outcomes includes proper governance, thoughtfully conceived processes based on input from affected stakeholders, and transparency about AI’s role in decision making. Responsible AI represents this comprehensive approach. To achieve it, governments must empower leadership and use AI to enhance human decision making—not replace it. A Responsible AI approach should include regular reviews, integration with standard tools and data models, and a plan for potential lapses.
In today’s episode, host Jon Knisley, long-time technologist helping companies win the market with emerging digital solutions, and series producer Elizabeth Mitelman talk with Kathy McNeill the director of artificial intelligence at the GSA’s Technology Transformation Center of Excellence. Kathy dives into the role of proper governance in AI, automation, and technology in order for tech to remain true to the desired outcome it was originally designed for. She also talks about the challenges she has seen in the industry and her advice for women who want to have a tech career. Kathy also shares why passion and being technically-curious is important and how to be a participant and a life learner in the industry.
- The critical role that GSA plays in the government’s overall operations in technology leadership
- Kathy’s role as the the director of artificial intelligence at the GSA’s Technology Transformation Center of Excellence
- Kathy’s biggest challenges and lessons from the industry and about how the government is changing and adapting to different constituencies
- Advice for women interested in a career in technology, in the public sector
- Kathy’s journey into the tech industry
- The current state of AI adoption and governance
- “The Missing Middle” and how to close the gap
- How to ensure that programs have the right checks and balances in place for responsible AI ethics
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe and check out our series at fortressiq.com/podcast. Thanks for joining us today on hello, Human.
Brought to you by FortressIQ of hello, Human.